Friday, February 8, 2008

Book Review: Creative Embellishments by Sherrill Kahn



Last week I ordered a new book titled Creative Embellishments for Paper, Jewelry, Fabric and More after hearing about it on The Artist Circle yahoo group. We were playing with paper beads in between workshops and I just had to know more.

This book is full of wonderful techniques, I haven't been able to put it down!

I have to admit I'm not really into the vintage look that so many seem to create. Sure I've done my share as I like to try different things but its not my favorite theme. That's one of the reasons why I seem to love this new book. Sherrill's style is far from vintage, it's more of a primitive style, with great colors and bold shapes.

I've also never had an interest in working with fabric, guess what comes to mind for me with fabric is sewing and I'm not a sewer. I can sew a button but that's about as far as it goes. In school while all the girls were taking Home Ec class I was in shop class working with woods and metals. My mom wasn't one to sew either, I learned to hem clothing with that iron on stuff not a needle and thread so you see where it comes from.

Anyway after reading Creative Embellishments I'm ready to try working with some fabric and I'm actually excited about learning something new!

Of course this will all come in time as this now opens up a whole new world of supplies for me. First on the list is a new heat gun, I've gotten by with my toaster for embossing but its time to step up and get the real thing so I can get to work on these beads.

If you get a chance stop by Amazon and check out Creative Embellishments by Sherril Kahn, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Jill said...

That looks like a great book. Thanks for posting about it.