Saturday, August 22, 2009

Felted Mini Totes



These fun little totes knitted up quickly and required me to learn a new technique as the bottoms are square. I learned to pick up stitches!

I think they would make a great little gift bag. I can already see holiday colors and maybe embellishing them with decorative buttons and/or gems. If I start now I might have enough for myself as well as a few to sell since some of my online friends have expressed an interest in my felted knits.

 



I did learn a valuable lesson from this project. I made four bags in total and felted them two at a time, the first two came out great (at least I think so) while the second two were a tad to "fuzzy" and looked worn. What caused the difference in the final result when everything appeared to be the same? The first two were felted in separate pillow cases and the others were felted in separate mesh laundry bags. I tried the laundry bags after spotting them at the dollar store, I remembered reading in a book that this is what the author used. I honestly believe that the bags are better protected in the pillow cases and will be using them from now on, maybe the mesh bags could be used inside one laundry bag - keeping them separate from each other but still protected.

No comments: