Friday, October 17, 2008

Another Piece of the Puzzle

As I struggle with my lose of interest in the creative world I have discovered a few things and I wanted to share with you, my latest piece of the puzzle. I want to start by saying I've always been environmentally aware and I've always had an issue with chemicals. The way our world has become over processed in more ways then one seems to know is my biggest concern.

I was semi-green before green was the "in" thing. I knew the risks and dangers but felt there was little I could do to "save the world" or even protect myself. After having children I became more aware and more determined to make this world a better and safer place for my children and future generations.

Do you know how toxic to us and the environment our art supplies are? I think that's one reason why I've never made a major purchase, just picking up a few things to get by here and there. Subconsciously I knew I didn't want to be working with this stuff but still I had the desire to create and that is what I did.

This past year I've really become more active and more concerned and now believe that I can make a difference and that I can help others to make a better choice for ourselves and for mother earth.

I've honestly had the desire to create recycled art for sometime now and have collected many things in my journey that I can not bring myself to throw away. So what am I saying here? What is this piece of the puzzle?

Maybe I'm holding myself back because I know I don't want to harm myself, my family or the environment with my art?

Today I came across this site: Crafting a Green World and it hit me, this was my answer, or at least a big piece of the puzzle. Now I know I'm not alone, I know there are alternatives and I can create safe art, yes!

Does this mean I'm throwing everything I have away, all my suplies? No because it would just end up in the landfill where it will continue to harm our environment. I will use the supplies that I have but from this point forward I will not buy any more toxic art supplies. And that is my gift to myself, to my family and to our world.

What a sense of relief to know I do have a choice, I do have options and I *can* make a difference!

-------------------------

On a side note, I have not started the Soul Journal yet as I have not been able to locate a journal to use. However I do have an unused pad of watercolor paper that I think I can do something with. After all the journal isn't for you all, its for my own personal growth, so if its not a traditional journal that's fine by me. I hope to get started this weekend.

:)

2 comments:

Lily said...

Nice blog! I agree about the toxic art supplies. I find myself in the past few years being really selective in what I buy too.

As to your depressive/non-creative thing that's been going on-- you're not alone. When I'm in a funk, I feel creatively dry as a desert.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I think you could start a whole 'movement' about the green-art thing. I would LOVE to see what you come up with in terms of recycled art. Just the preschools in america are churning out a nightmare amount of kid's art, that um...mommies like me end up trashing. You could round up the mommy-art and USE it!!

Okay that might have been dumb, but do you see what I'm getting at?

A Soul Journal? Please to explain?